ALZHEIMER’S ASSOCIATION JAPAN,NEWSLETTER
16,000 copies of pole pole are monthly published and delivered to association members, supporting members, related institutes, governments, and the mass media.
<Contents and Outline>
Pole‐Pole for june,2005
1.News and Information
“New Nursing Home Emphasis on Home” from New York Times
“ Live Long with Mediterranean diet” from British Medical Journal
#1. Discussion about “ KAZOKU NO KAI (Family members’ groups) starts.
At the general meeting held on June 4th, it was determined to discuss the change of Japanese name of Alzheimer’s Association Japan”
Boke Roujin wo kakaeru kazoku no kai”
The reasons to need to discuss are the following two points;
1) Is the word ”aged “ proper in the present situation that young PWD increasing?
2) Is the name proper for the coming age for PWDs themselves to be leading characters for Association.
#2. New 18 directors and 2 organizers were selected.
3. Serial Advice about the care by Dr.Katayama
“The important thing for dementia care is to know the way of communicating for PWD to feel at ease.
4. The report of ADI Asian Pacific regional conference
Four parsons participated from AAJ. Supporting policy for tsunami stricken countries . It was determined to make a network of Asian Pacific Area and for quick action for emergencies such as disasters.
5. Letters from Members(selected)
(1)I, naturally continue care for my husband confined to bed using short stay 4~5times a month.
(2) I hope for institutes not only for aged PWD but also for young PWD.
(3) Use of Day services, advice from care managers, participation in Family members groups” and Pole pole, by studying from these things, my way of caring has been changed and the situation of my mother –in law has improved.
6. Care experience from North and South
My husband lost his health and entered hospital due to his devoted care for our mother. Don’t push yourself too hard! Let’s be just the way you are! Talk, learn, laugh, and cry together, If a caregiver is not happy, good care cannot be expected.
7. Advice for care from local telephone consultation.
8. [Reading BOKE] By Dr.Ozawa
An essay described thoughts of PWD though the main character of short novel [Waremokou] written by a top modern Japanese Female writer.
9. Campaign “A year to know dementia” starts
Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare will carry out the campaign for providing information about symptoms, of dementia and feeling of PWDs and their families to support them. Alzheimer’s Association Japan cooperate with the campaign.
10. Activity report from chapters
11. Advice for Care( Advice from a specialist)
12. Listen to my heart ( A message from PWD herself)
One of the 200 letters to her son from his 83year mother with dementia.
“ I want to go home. Please take me home. Where should I go back?
Please tell me! I don’t know anymore. Please send some money because no money left. ( She’s living together with her son whom she writes to, in fact)
13. Message from Pres. Takami
In October 2005,Long Term Care Insurance will be revised.
Still now, a lot of problems, such as shortage of nursing homes for the aged and advice from hospital to leave at an early stage, have been piled up.
We have to ask our government for revision of systems to realize
reliable care as well as sustainable Long Term Care Insurance.
Take Heart till next month!
14. Events of chapters